Friday, September 24, 2010

Letters of Recommendation (LOR)

Ahh the Letter of Recommendation. Some personality types do not like that task of hunting down someone to do things for you. Well I think if said person is interested in law, getting people to write positive things about you is absolutely essential. I mean we you are going to need recommendation letters in law school also.


Securing Recommendation Letters is very important, if there is anyone reading this in 2nd year or below, you my friend, are in an excellent position. You need to start working on your recommendation letter as soon as possible. The more your professors know you, the better and more likely it is that they would assist you. I was also able to get a very important letter of recommendation from someone in the community. In total I had three very solid ones, from people who knew me quite well. I waited until fourth year to ask for the recommendation letters. You can either get to know the person from early and essentially take a bunch of courses (and do well) with that professor. In this case the professor would have nothing but good things to say about you, as they would see that you are hardworking and dedicated.
Alternatively, which I did, you can simply give your professors a sample essay of your choice, showing them how well you write, along with your curriculum vitae and other essential information, so they have some idea of your goals. I think doing it this way gives the the opportunity to learn about you in cases where you did not buiuld up that relaionship from the get-go.


My LORs
Professor 1:
I knew this professor for a few months before asking her for the LOR. I  took exactly one class with her (my fourth year seminar). At the beginning of the year she mentioned that if anyone was interested in letters of recommendations, she would be happy to oblige. I got an A+ in her class, so that was enough to ensure that she would be happy with my writing and capabilities as a student.


Professor 2:
I had 2 classes with this professor (2nd and 3rd years). I got A's in both classes, and I was very active (in terms of participating) in her class. Securing this LOR required more work on my part. I had to spend quite a few hours in her office, building rapport and getting to know her. I was someone worried as this professor is not a full-time prof at Mcmaster. However, I was genuinely interested in the conversations we shared, and I believe this showed. I think because of the relationship we had this was an excellent Letter of Recommendation.


Community Leader:
I secured my final LOR from the Pastor of the church I go to. He has a PhD and has known me for over 9 years. I knew that he would write me my best LOR and I think this played a pivotal role in getting me accepted at Osgoode Hall. This was the perfect opportunity to attest to my commitment to the community and my passion for those around me (which was essentially the thesis of my Personal Statement). Getting LOR from those in the community that know you is not difficult because they have known you for so long and they can attest to your dedication and commitment quite easily. I think people undervalue the importance of this type of LOR, thinking that only Professors matter. However, it is clear that it serves to seperate you from the pack.


I would definitely say that getting great LORs is important, and that people should not waste time on it. Many things happen that you do not expect (professors leave or take sabbaticals on they year you need them for example). This is one of the aspects of the application that many overlook. I encourage you to start thinking about it from an early stage.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good part to consider with some guidelines, will indeed bring about more values to your attitude and nature sometimes it becomes important part to consider within your career success. advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology fellowship

    ReplyDelete